Thursday, August 31, 2006

This One's For All the Paper Loving Babies

Last week's Home Acivity for the Village class included exploring the Art Banners from our Home Materials. We'd already pulled out the banners and let our little man explore them a bit, but mid-week I decided I'd try something new. I decided to cut the banners into picture cards and "laminate" them with contact paper.

Now let me stop and explain. The adorable 10 month old who lives at my house has an obsession with paper. He comes by it honestly. I must admit to being the same way. But, we can't put the child on the floor if there's paper of any kind down, or he makes a mad dash for it. PAPER! PAPER! PAPER! clearly the words behind his excited babble. Oh, this makes me think, maybe we showed learn the ASL sign for PAPER.

Well, this week I learned something. The Village Art Banners are not only visually stimulating, they fulfill that inexplicable need for paper. Now our little guy has paper of his very own to play with and attempt to wad and chew, with no worries from me about the banners being torn up or swallowed. As a bonus, I discovered that the backs of contact paper (the part you're supposed to peel off and throw away) also are fairly indestructable and entertaining. They make a great crinkling sound!

No comments: