Friday, March 02, 2007

One Man's Trash is Some Child's Treasure

I have taken to saving trash to give to my 17- month-old son. Bizarre as it may sound, it provides for hours of entertainment at our house, and I'm not the only one.

The teachers and leaders at the Reggio-inspired College School in St. Louis, which offers programming to children in preschool thru middle school, speak of collecting bits of gum wrappers, clear cellophane candy wrappers, and scraps of paper to share with children in art explorations in the classroom.

It is true, much of what we consider trash (packing paper, tin foil, egg cartons, and empty boxes) hold a wealth of inspiration and stimulation for children. Today I was finishing off the last piece of Valentine's candy and thought, I wonder what our little guy would think of this box. I shook out the leftover bits of forsaken chocolate and handed it to him. Sure enough, he was fascinated by opening and closing the fun yellow box and emptying out the protective layers which held and cushioned the candies inside. Each piece of interior package made a different and interesting crinkling sound which we explored together. I even thought, what a fun instrument this might make, and as I peered into the interior with the special niches for each different shape and size of chocolate goodness, I remembered how I treasured such things as a child for spaces to put little trinkets like buttons and beads.

So, as you go through your day, before you pitch an item in the trash reconsider. Perhaps it is something your child would find fascinating. A gum wrapper makes great material for a collage, an egg carton when painted or colored with markers could be transformed as a caterpillar, or a coffee can could become a drum or a nice loud shaker. Each piece of trash you reclaim as treasure for your child expands his imagination and his creativity (as well as your own.)

NOTE: The photo in this post is of packing paper. Amazing isn't it.

No comments: